Whether replacing an existing roof, building a new roof from scratch, or some type of roof repair project in between, deciding on critical design factors is the key to a successful roofing system project. Each layer of a roofing assembly requires careful consideration and analysis to assess for impacts to the entire building. Using real-life scenarios and practice activities, this course explores the most common components of a roofing system, the advantages and disadvantages of each system, and how the critical factors aid in the assessment of the most appropriate system to meet the needs of the building and client.
1. Describe the basic roofing components and how they are integrated into commercial roofing systems.
2. List the most common types of roof membrane materials and systems used for commercial roofing.
3. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of each to help customers select roofs that will reduce environmental impact and conserve energy.
4. Evaluate the critical factors that shape considerations for roofing systems.
5. Describe common and special considerations that need to be addressed for the installation of a commercial roofing system to ensure buildings are conserving energy.