Gaining a solid understanding of the advantages of EPDM roofing systems demonstrates why this membrane has the longest proven performance record of all single ply membranes. EPDM’s high-performance synthetic rubber compound provides outstanding weathering in climates worldwide. Multiple attachment types and colors are available for an EPDM roofing solution, and environmental benefits of the white EPDM membranes are explored in this course as they provide the lowest carbon footprint of all single-ply membranes.
1. Describe EPDM, its physical characteristics, and performance advantages, emphasizing its proven historical performance as a sustainable (green) roofing product.
2. Explain the three system-attachment types (ballasted, mechanically attached, and fully adhered).
3. Describe seaming steps and the use of innovative tape technologies.
4. Explain factors that impact durability and longevity of EPDM systems.
5. Evaluate key factors to consider for selecting black or white roofs, addressing codes and rating systems that support the use of both.
6. Select an EPDM roof for any climate.