Metal has many benefits in the design of a building. It provides visual beauty, and it is strong, lightweight, and durable. There are options for every budget, look, function, and scale, and it’s a great choice for sustainability. This course explains the four base metal types — steel, aluminum, natural metals, and stainless steel — and the unique attributes each can bring to a building project. It also provides foundational knowledge on the two types of wall panel systems — barrier and rain screen — as well as the four metal wall panel options.
1. Describe how metal adds both aesthetic and practical value, and energy efficiency in the building envelope.
2. List the most common types of metals used for the building envelope, and explain the pros and cons of each.
3. List the most common finishes available and explain the pros and cons of each.
4. Explain the differences between the functionality and sustainability of barrier and rain screen wall systems.
5. List the most common metal wall panel options, and the pros and cons of each.
6. Differentiate ornamental metal options for multiple design needs.
7. Relate integrated light management systems to aesthetics, energy efficiency, and functionality.